Police Cuff White Grandfather For Walking With His Black Granddaughter

Police officers complain that they are often “unfairly” accused of racism, but one white grandfather is saying that they racially profiled him as “kidnapper” for nothing other than walking with his own granddaughter.

Scott Henson is a crime and politics blogger who lives in Austin, Texas, wrote about his experience being handcuffed and detained by police for the “crime” of walking home with his five-year-old granddaughter.

Henson explains that he is Caucasian, but his granddaughter is African American. When police saw him with the girl, they assumed he had “kidnapped her”. In short, they presumed his guilt with no evidence of a crime other than his skin color.

Henson explains that the only the police could think when they saw him was that he kidnapped the girl. To them, it was inconceivable that the girl might have been adopted, or the product of an interracial relationship, or even a remarriage.

Henson says he was walking home from a roller skating rink with his granddaughter when a female deputy stopped him. She made up a claim that they had “received reports” of a white man who had “kidnapped” a black girl, the New York Daily News reported.

“He’s my Grandpa!” Ty’s yelled at the officer.

Henson and Ty were in deed allowed to leave after being briefly detained.

They only got two blocks away before five flashing police cruisers pulled up.

“The officers got out with tasers drawn demanding I raise my hands and step away from the child,” Henson recalled.

Ty tried to get away, up a hill, because the officers were frightening her. They jerked, grabbed and twisted her grandfather’s wrists, putting him in a lot of noticeable pain.

“One of them called out in a comforting tone that they weren’t there to hurt her, but another officer blew up any good will that might have garnered by brusquely snatching her up and scuttling her off to the back seat of one of the police cars,” Henson recalled.

Henson gave phone number after phone number to verify that he was in fact the girl’s grandfather.

The police eventually contacted enough people that they let him go (again). They refused to apologize, and said only that they “take kidnapping calls very seriously.”

(Article by S. Wooten)