Detroit Cops Charged With Home Invasion After Kicking In A Door Without A Warrant

Two Detroit police officers are facing several charges after they kicked in the door of a house without a search warrant and wrongfully arrested the homeowner.

Nearly 10 months after their crimes, Officer Bradley Clark and Sgt. Paul Glaza were finally charged with second-degree home invasion, misconduct in office, malicious destruction of property under $200, and entering without a homeowner’s permission after the Jan. 22 incident, reported The Detroit News.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller pointed out the ridiculous actions of the police officers in a statement.

“It is alleged that (the officers) were part of the burglary task force, and entered a home without a search warrant at 22550 block of Pembroke,” the statement read. “They also did not have an arrest warrant for the person they were searching for, who was not in the house. They instead detained and arrested the homeowner.”

Tashar Cornelius, the 28-year-old homeowner, is considering filing a lawsuit against the city.

“A couple cops came to the house looking for a suspect,” Cornelius said. “I told them the man they were looking for wasn’t here, but they refused to listen to what I was saying. They wanted to come in my house, and I told them ‘without a search warrant, you have no right to be here.’

The officers chose not to follow the law and proceeded with an unlawful home invasion with guns drawn.

“I guess that teed them off,” he said. “I shut the door on them, but they didn’t leave my property. They seemed convinced their suspect was here. So they kicked in the door and came in with their weapons drawn. Then they put me in handcuffs and searched the property.”

They arrested Cornelius after telling him that his taser was illegal. After 36 hours at the Mound Correctional Facility, he was released with no charges against him.

“They violated my constitutional rights,” Cornelius said. “I have to stand up against that.”

Because of their unconstitutional activities, the officers have been suspended with pay.

The officers could face up to 15 years in prison if they are convicted without a plea deal.