Police officers in San Francisco, California were caught exchanging racist texts.
The text messages were exchanged between former Sgt. Ian Furminger and current officers Michael Robison, Noel Schwab, Rain Daugherty and Michael Celis, according to The San Francisco Chronicle.
This revelation comes on the heels of the federal prosecution and conviction of Sgt. Furminger on corruption charges.
Thanks to this revelation, all four officers have been reassigned… But that is far from being seriously disciplined or fired. Instead, they have just been moved to positions where they have no contact with the public. The San Francisco police officials apparently thought this was a reasonable solution… Many in the public strongly disagree.
• “We got two blacks at my boys [sic] school and they are brother and sister! There cause dad works for the school district and I am watching them like hawks.”
• In response to a text asking “Do you celebrate quanza [sic] at your school?” Furminger wrote: “Yeah we burn the cross on the field! Then we celebrate Whitemas.”
• “Its [sic] worth every penny to live here [Walnut Creek] away from the savages.”
• “Those guys are pretty stupid! Ask some dumb ass questions you would expect from a black rookie! Sorry if they are your buddies!”
• “The buffalo soldier was why the Indians Wouldnt [sic] shoot the n****rs that found for the confederate They [sic] thought they were sacred buffalo and not human.”
• “Gunther Furminger was a famous slave auctioneer.”
• “My wife has 2 friends over that don’t know each other the cool one says to me get me a drink n****r not knowing the other is married to one just happened right now LMFAO.”
• “White power.”
• In response to a text saying “n****rs should be spayed,” Furminger wrote “I saw one an hour ago with 4 kids.”
• “I am leaving it like it is, painting KKK on the sides and calling it a day!”
• “Cross burning lowers blood pressure! I did the test myself!”
• In response to a text saying “All n****rs must fucking hang,” Furminger wrote “Ask my 6 year old what he thinks about Obama.”
• In response to a text saying “Just boarded train at Mission/16th,” Furminger wrote “Ok, just watch out for BM’s” [black males].
• “I hate to tell you this but my wife friend [sic] is over with their kids and her husband is black! If [sic] is an Attorney but should I be worried?” Furminger’s friend, an SFPD officer, responded: “Get ur pocket gun. Keep it available in case the monkey returns to his roots. Its [sic] not against the law to put an animal down.” Furminger responded, “Well said!”
• In response to a text from another SFPD officer regarding the promotion of a black officer to sergeant, Furminger wrote: “Fuckin n****r.”
Think Progress notes that only 6% of San Francisco’s population are African American, and yet they are seven times more likely than Caucasian residents to be arrested by the police.
(Article by Jackson Marciana and M. David)