3-Year-Old Boy With Severe Dairy Allergy Died When Preschool Gave Him Cheese

A New York City preschool has been shut down because an employee gave a grilled cheese sandwich to a 3-year-old student who they knew was severely allergic to dairy.

Elijah Silvera died as a result of the blunder, and now the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem will remain closed until the city’s Department of Health can figure out exactly what went wrong, reported CBS New York.

“On November 3rd, 2017, our beloved Elijah was playing peacefully at his pre-k in Harlem, NYC, when he was given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult at the pre-k, despite them knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy,” a GoFundMe set up on behalf of Elijah’s family noted.

“Elijah went into anaphylactic shock and was taken to the Pediatric ER at Harlem Hospital, where, tragically, they were unable to save him. Elijah leaves behind his heartbroken mother, Dina, father, Thomas, and his 5-year-old brother Sebastian, as well as dozens of friends and family members who all mourn the loss of his precious young life.”

The GoFundMe, which surpassed its $18,000 goal in less than 2 days, will help the family with funeral expenses, as well as an independent autopsy for Elijah.

The family wants an independent autopsy to discover if the blame for Elijah’s death should be on the pre-K, the hospital, or both.

The GoFundMe page says, “Having a third party medical examination will ensure our ability to get a clear picture.”

Health officials told the news station that it seems as if the school failed to follow a written safety plan and failed to supervise Elijah properly.

The school is conducting its own investigation as well.

(Article By James Carter)